Donald Trump 2024: Here are 5 reasons why Donald Trump will be elected President in 2024
- Track Record: Trump had the 2020 election in the bag until COVID hit the US and then everything went downhill from there. He alienated suburban and educated voters which in turn helped Biden to pull off an upset. However, the 18 months so far of Biden have yielded poor management (In Afghanistan), spiralling prices and a fear of recession. Further, Biden has not come through as someone who appears to be in control of the administration. Trump on the other hand is perceived to have managed the economy well, at least until COVID hit America. As a consequence, Elections in most states during the last 12 months have shown Independent voters moving toward the GOP and this is before Inflation hit the country.
- Polls: Donald Trump is leading all GOP and General Election Polls (Versus Biden). For example, Morning Post released a survey on the popularity of Donald Trump and in most states, 8 out of 10 likely Republican voters preferred Trump over the rest of the candidates. In theory, Florida Governor DeSantis could mount a serious challenge against Trump but Trump has a solid base in the Republican party to beat DeSantis. It is likely DeSantis will stay away from challenging Trump and instead run for President in 2028
- Democrats are in serious trouble: With the Democrats likely to lose control of the Congress in November, President Biden is unlikely to accomplish much during 2022-24 giving little for Democrats to fight for in 2024. The Democratic party’s leadership pipeline looks relatively weak at the moment to challenge Trump
- Other Risks are Overstated: Many have argued that the Jan 6th committee could derail Trump’s 2024 run. So far there is little evidence to prevent this from happening. Firstly, the committee has limited time to present its findings given the distinct possibility of a Change in Control of Congress later this year. Further, while there may be messages and calls suggesting that the President may not have acted far more aggressively to stop the attacks, there is little to suggest he was complicit in planning those attacks. So the committee will rely on testimonies that will create discomfort but are unlikely to prevent Trump’s ascendancy to the Presidency in 2024.
- Health: Donald Trump has reported no serious health issues that would prevent him from contesting the 2024 election. He boasted 3 months ago that he was in better shape than Barack Obama or George Bush. His only concern was weight loss and he received advice from Dr Oz to lose weight.
Donald Trump 2024: Latest Trafalgar Group Poll Result
The biggest challenge to Donald Trump 2024 is likely to come from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. However, the latest Trafalgar Poll for the GOP Presidential Nomination comes as a major boost for Donald Trump. TPUSA polled conference attendees from around the country. As per the poll:
- 78.7% of attendees said they would vote for Trump.
- 19% said they would vote for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
- 1% said they’d vote for South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem.
- 0.5% said they’d vote for former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
- 0.3% said they would vote for Sen. Ted Cruz.
The poll gives a major boost to Donald Trump who is eyeing for the office of White Office once again in 2024.
His main challenger among the Republicans is set to be Ron DeSantis. These are the strengths of DeSantis:
By every metric so far, DeSantis sounds like a huge barrier for Donald Trump 2024. But here are 3 reasons why DeSantis may not even contest against Trump in 2024
- To win against Trump, he will have to attack Trump’s presidency. Any attacks on Trump’s presidency will harm the Republican party (and any future runs) apart from antagonizing a large number of Trump Loyalists. And this is not just about Trump. Sitting presidents are rarely challenged in their run for Presidency and though Trump is not the sitting President, he will run on his record.
- DeSantis may have had an easy run against a leaderless and divided Democratic party in Florida but a challenge against Trump will be an entirely different ball game. Jeb Bush also a Florida Republican Governor was dismantled by Trump in just one debate.
- Lastly, DeSantis may not exactly be running on a great performance record. For example, Florida’s per capita income is lower than the national average but under DeSantis, it failed to outperform the national average. Florida continues to have a lower Labor force participation than the national average. Trump will seize upon such gaps and make the most of them.
Whether Ron DeSantis would eventually run or not will also be determined by the situation in 2023 and 2024 but at the moment, no number of Straw Polls will discourage Trump from running in 2024.