Is it safe to eat the gills of a portobello mushroom? – Need To Refrigerate


Is it safe to eat the gills of a portobello mushroom?

The stems of large portabella, while technically edible, can be woody and fibrous and are usually discarded (or used to flavor stock). Likewise, the dark black gills can be eaten, but they’ll turn your food a nasty, murky, scuzzy brown, so it’s best to scrape’em out.

How do I make my portobello not soggy?

When you’re ready to use your Portobello mushrooms, do not rinse them under water. That will make them soggy. Use a damp cloth to wipe the mushrooms clean. Remove the stems by gently twisting them off.



Source link